Benbros Zebra Toys
103 (10) Jaguar E-type
Benbros Zebra Toys Jaguar E-type
Variation 6 : metallic green, blue interior, dark green-blue windows, red plastic wheels (missing number-plate decal)
The Zebra Toys Jaguar E-type was possibly the best model Benbros created. It was an accurate copy of an iconic vehicle produced to a very high standard with fine detail, tinted windows, jewelled headlights, a plastic interior and a separately moulded steering wheel.
The body was a single casting which included the front oval grille and the rear number-plate 'AVS 104'. The first issue was painted metallic blue with red interior, white steering wheel and clear windows. The wheels were metal with large hubs and black tyres similar to those used on other early Zebra Toys models. The grille, front and rear bumpers and the rear number-plate were finished with silver trim and on the bonnet a decal number-plate was added.
A second variation with metal wheels was painted metallic brown. This also had clear windows but a yellow interior and brown steering wheel.
Although the real vehicle sometimes had a red leather interior, Benbros did not keep to red for long, switching to yellow or white and then pale blue which was the most common choice. The steering wheel also changed from white to brown and the windows from clear to tinted, either dark greenish blue, pale blue, or amber.
After the early metal wheels, Benbros changed to red or blue plastic and added a new metallic body colour of green to the existing metallic blue and metallic brown.
Underneath, the full-length base had a matt or gloss black finish and was rivetted onto the body at the front and rear. There was no detail except the number '103', 'Jaguar 'E' Type', 'Zebra Toys' and 'Made in England'.
The Jaguar E-type was sold in a black & white striped Zebra Toys box with a metallic-green vehicle pictured on the faces and the number '10' on the end-flaps.
Because Benbros used several different wheels, windows, exterior and interior colours, there are many possible variations of the Jaguar E-type. All are in demand and will fetch a premium at auction.
Variation 5 : metallic green, blue interior, blue plastic wheels, blue tinted windows
Zebra Toys Jaguar E-type
Some of the known variations
(1) METALLIC BLUE CLEAR windows RED interior WHITE Steering wheel METAL wheels
(2) METALLIC BLUE AMBER windows WHITE interior BROWN steering wheel METAL wheels
(3) METALLIC BLUE PALE-BLUE windows BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel BLUE plastic wheels
(4) METALLIC BLUE PALE-BLUE windows BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel RED plastic wheels
(5) METALLIC GREEN PALE-BLUE windows BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel BLUE plastic wheels
(6) METALLIC GREEN DARK GREEN-BLUE windows BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel RED plastic wheels
(7) METALLIC GREEN AMBER windows BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel BLUE plastic wheels
(8) METALLIC BROWN CLEAR windows YELLOW interior BROWN steering wheel METAL wheels
(9) METALLIC BROWN AMBER windows ?BLUE interior BROWN steering wheel BLUE plastic wheels
Variation 2 : metallic blue, amber windows, white interior, metal wheels, with box
Variation 1 : metallic-blue, red interior, white steering wheel, metal wheels